Monday, January 17, 2011

Unconditional Love

First off, I'm typing on my brand new computer!!! I'm so excited that I can finally start to blogging again!

This is going to be a bit deeper of a subject than I normally talk about and I hope that you will read this with an open mind. I know you're used to my cookie cutter family stories and decorating dilemmas, but recently I've had something on my mind. For those of you who do not know, I have a gay sister. She's been "out" since I was in junior high (although my parents didn't tell me until I was in high school). She's quite an amazing person and the more I get to know her, the more impressed I am. She's kind, generous, loving and intensely creative. She's always been very independent and self confident which (thankfully) has made her journey easier.


I am also a Mormon, which is not the ideal religion for someone in the gay community (not that many religions are ideal for them). We are taught in church that homosexuality is a sin. It just doesn't seem fair to me that she should be given this great "challenge" in her life. Why was I born without those feelings, why does it come natural for me to "live a straight life"? I know she did not ask for these feeling or choose them. She was born this way.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand how my sister must have felt until I listened to the story of Carol Lynn Pearson on the Mormon Stories podcast. She is an active Mormon who married a gay man (after he was told by his church leaders to go ahead and get married and his same sex attraction would go away). After many years of marriage and 4 children, her husband's same sex attractions never went away and it led to their divorce. They stayed close friends until he passed away. Hearing her story about her husband gave me so much more understanding into the pain that the homosexual community has to go through. She wrote a book about their love story and it's called Goodbye, I Love You. She later wrote another book called No More Goodbyes (Circling the wagons around our gay loved ones) which I am reading now to continue to understand more about this subject.

I recently heard of a man in one of the single adult wards at our church who stood up and gave a beautiful talk on the Holy Ghost. At the closing of his talk he told the congregation that he was gay. Here is the link to his talk which he posted on his blog. I was touched by his candor and bravery. I love that it got people thinking and talking. It prompted me to write this post, which I probably would have never done, but his example gave me the courage. This is a subject that many are (in my opinion) way too judgemental about. Please take the time to read the talk to help open your mind a little.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

First of all, I hope your new computer is a Mac?? :)

Seriously though, I love and appreciate your frankness and openness with this topic. I have a special place in my heart on this subject as I know people close to me in the same situation. I really enjoyed that man's talk and his testimony. I too have read Carol Lynn Pearson's "Goodbye, I Love You" years ago. It's touching how she could care for her husband in failing health due to AIDS after they divorced. We're definitely here to serve and love others without judgment. Thanks for your reminder!

shelbrz said...

Right there with ya Mel. In the end I've always felt like it's not up to me to judge others. Their challenges in life are between them and Heavenly Father...he knows their heart, I do not. There are evil people in this world who put on a good "christian" face, how can anyone judge them more worthy than a gay person with goodness in their heart?
Miss ya' friend.

Sarah Young said...

Hey Melanie, I totally agree with you that we should not judge others. Also unlike some people's views, I do believe some people are born with same-gender attraction. It's always a comfort to me when I read the words by church leaders, like the prophet, not merely opinions of some members of the church, that having same-gender attraction in itself is not a sin. Being gay is not a sin. It'S only if you enter into a sexual relationship outside of marriage is anything a sin. Which the same rule applies for heterosexual people too. I know some gay people that have chosen to live a single life and accept that it is their burden to carry in this life and still fully participate in the gospel. I know it's a touchy subject and every situation is different, but I know in my heart that God loves all his children, regardless of their sexual attraction.

Morgan said...

I really do admire your choosing to open up and write so honestly about this subject. I cannot agree more with everything that you've said. The bottom line is this: Our Heavenly Father loves all of His children equally. We have been told in the scriptures that we are not to judge one another. All judgement is to be left up to God. Our job is to love- to accept one another for who we are, to acknowledge and to appreciate each other's strengths and to help one another through the trials that we face. I do hope that by sharing positive messages about same-gender attraction (as you have done), others will be encouraged to stop judging and to start loving.

Lelani said...

Mel, this was such a touching post. I'm at work so I'm not going to open the links. I'll do it later as I'm sure I'll get emotional. I have known families in the same situation and I agree, Heavenly Father loves everyone and so should we.

Unknown said...

Thank you for discussing this, Mel!
I really do feel like this is a subject that more people are somehow touched by than what is often realized. It's one that needs to be discussed more open, especially with the political environment, bullying, etc. going on around the issue. I do believe progress is being made, and it will only grow from here :)

Nancy said...

Great post Mel. You are a great example of Christ like love and kindness.