Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Meal Planning

I can't tell you how much I hate planning my families meals. I don't mind cooking them so much, but I hate trying to figure out what will make everyone happy and then having to go to the dreaded grocery store. Lately, I've been really lazy about cooking. When the clock hits 5:00 pm, I realize Jared will be home soon and I have nothing planned so I will either throw a spaghetti meal together or call the pizza guy. Needless to say, Jared has noticed my lack of planning skills and he called me on it. Oops.

This prompted me to plan out my meals for this week. In the past I haven't liked doing that because I always buy everything I need for the week and inevitably, we don't use some of the meat or produce that I bought. It makes me crazy to throw away food! But, I'm afraid I need to go ahead and do this so that I can be better prepared for our meals. So, I sat down with Lydia at the office yesterday morning and I made a list of all the meals I know how to make and asked her for suggestions of what new recipes I could do- because that is another problem I have, not having any new recipes.

So because I hate this so much, I wanted to share with you my meal plan for this week because if you're anything like me, you need the inspiration:

Monday- Homemade pizza (which I made last night and as it I was preheating the oven, my dog jumped on the counter to eat it and knocked it off the counter onto the floor. I was about to cry when Carolyn called and saved me by inviting us to dinner at her house.)
Tuesday- I'm planning on giving the homemade pizza a second try.
Wednesday- Our families favorite chicken casserole with rice, rolls and peas
Thursday- Pioneer Woman's Fried Round Steak (which I haven't made yet, but I've loved every recipe I've ever tried from her) with white pepper gravy, sweet corn bread and baked red potatoes.
Friday- I never cook because we usually go on a date, but if we don't we'll have left overs from each of the meals.
Saturday- We usually get pizza or take the kids out to dinner.
Sunday- Superbowl! Jared's making jumbo!

My goal is to try and make a meal plan at the beginning of each week. I sure hope I can stick to this! I'll keep you posted and if you have any great recipes that I have to try...please share!!! (I would especially love to have some good crock pot recipes!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on the dreaded meal planning, the dreaded trips to the grocery store and calling the pizza guy one too many times. :) My sisters and I have a recipe blog, where we post recipes we have tried and liked. The site is http://www.recipefilebox.blogspot.com/
There are some really good ones and several crock pot recipes. Happy cooking. :)

Leslie said...

Sign up for the daily recipe from allrecipes.com They send out their top rated recipes and they are usually pretty easy. I save the ones that sound good and then have an instant list to refer to when I am trying to find a recipe for the ingredients I have on hand. It helps me when I meal plan as well.

Lelani said...

That is my greatest challenge. Plus in our family, whoever gets home first cooks dinner. Lately, Dain's been getting home before me ... which means I get something spicy for dinner. lol And I don't like spicy! So planning would make a HUGE difference!

Angie said...

Try going to Wendy's or order Chinese to mix it up a little. You can't always order pizza, you get caught that way. :)

Anonymous said...

Mel- its not very gourmet but I'm loving e-mealz.com (do I sound like a commercial?) You can choose the plan you want and then each week it does the meal planning and you print out the grocery list already made. I don't always follow all the meals but it is a good starting place and so far, my kids have liked almost all the recipes. Lazy, yes - but I'm loving NOT making a grocery list. - jenni

Amanda Herrold said...

Ok, I now am a pro at this after being snowed in for 2 weeks. I have never cooked so much in my life. Try cooking a shoulder roast in your crock pot. Throw in some baby carrots and frozen green beans. Cook on low and at the end of the day you have a meal. Don't forget to use crockpot liners.I think I may blog about my meals today.