Monday, February 8, 2010
GUMBO
I LOVE anytime I can get my man in the kitchen! He's a great cook and likes to do it, but by the time he gets off work, it's too late for him to start cooking. Because of that, he doesn't cook very often. So yesterday, on Superbowl Sunday, we were having some friends over and so Jared was in charge of the jumbo. I was enjoying watching so much that I took a bunch of pictures so I could blog about it.
He started off making the roux, which is 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil- this is for a huge pot so if you want to follow this recipe, you can cut it by a 1/4.
The roux takes a long time to cook. You have to stir it "continually" on a low-med heat for 45 minutes. It is a pain! I admit, we walked away from it quite a bit because 45 minutes is a LONG time! Jared ended up pulling a stool to the stove top to relax while stirring.
Here is what the color should look like when you are done. It's the color of a copper penny. We've heard there's an easier way to make the roux (in the oven) and we will give it a try next time.
Add 3-4 chopped onions, 4 celery stalks, 2-3 Tablespoons of garlic and 2-3 red bell peppers to the roux and stir about 10 min.
Then add 4 cans chicken broth, 3 bags frozen okra, and 3 lbs of whatever seafood or meat you want. 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce and 4 cans of diced tomatoes. We used frozen shrimp and sausage. Also add 1 T cayenne, 2 T basil, 2T basil, 2T oregano, 2T sage 2 T thyme and 4 bay leaves. Bring heat up to a simmer and lower heat. Stir occasionally and it will be ready in about an hour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment