Thursday, August 28, 2008

Helping NieNie

This is Jared in front of his Cessna 172. He bought it as an investment 2 years ago with 2 partners because he and his partners wanted to each get their pilots license. When they first got the plane, he was out at the small airport often taking his lessons and studying for tests, on the fast track to get his license, but work, family, church and many of life's other distractions slowed down his process little by little till it finally came to a stop. So as of now he hasn't flown in a month. At first I didn't like the idea of having my husband in a death machine, but slowly I started realizing how much it meant to him and I soon found myself supporting him and encouraging him to keep going. We actually had a fun date night one night where Johnny (who did get his license) flew his wife, Carolyn, Jared and I to the Brehnam airport where there's an old fashioned 50's diner on site. It was actually more fun than I had expected.

From my good friend Leslie's blog, I found out about this story that tugged majorly at my heart strings because it involves a young family and a plane crash. When I got onto her blog, she was talking about helping NieNie and I was somehow missing the story of what had happened so i e-mailed her to ask and this is the e-mail she sent me to explain:


Hey Melanie, Stephanie Nielsen is a friend of my sister (who is also named Stephanie). Their husbands were friends in high school and now they are in the same stake in Arizona. She is called NieNie because she thought it was a fun name since the end of her first name and the beginning of her last name are both Nie. Anyway, she has a very popular blog called NieNie Dialogues, which is currently on hold because she and her husband were in a very serious private plane crash almost two weeks ago. She is now burned on over 80% of her body, her husband, 30%. The other passenger on the plane died a couple of days after the crash from his burns. Stephanie has 4 children under the age of six and just lives a beautiful life, decorating her home, being in love with her husband and doting on her children. Scroll down a few posts on the blog I linked to above to see what her blog and life were like before the crash. The story is just completely heartbreaking, Stephanie still might not live and is in a chemically induced coma, perhaps for months, while doctors try to help her heal. Her husband is not as bad off, but is still in the hospital for several more weeks, they haven't seen or spoken to each other since they were on the plane. Her four children are now in the care of her siblings, who all live in Provo. Her sister, Courtney, whose blog is also really popular (and hilarious) is posting updates often on her status. Many LDS bloggers and non-LDS, too, have been inspired to help the Nielsens by contributing money to help pay for their hospital costs (which will run into the millions) and for the care of their children, since their daddy is obviously not able to work for several months. I think most of us who are affected by it put ourselves in her place, imagining what would happen if suddenly our life, our beauty, our health were snatched away in an instant. I think of her little six-year-old girl, who, like Audrey would be, is probably scared out of her mind wondering if she'll ever see her mom again. It's really terrible, and although I don't know them, it has still affected me strongly.Since they are friends of my sister, I felt prompted to help by holding the auction to raise money. It's the least I can do, our hearts just really go out to them. Neal and I both feel so much sorrow for their situation and want to do what we can. So that's the story.
The plane involved in the crash was the same plane that Jared has.
I just felt the need to share this story in case anyone might be able to help. You can click on the link below to find out how to help.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

thanks so much for spreading the word, melanie. it's such a heartbreaking story, but there is hope and so many prayers being offered for them. many people have started learning about the gospel through the Nielson's story. it's a blessing in some ways, but still so tragic.

everyone come donate money at the auction on my blog! there is some really great stuff up for bid through monday at noon.

Jenny said...

Mel,
I love Nie's blog - I found it about a week before her accident and couldn't stop reading! I'm on her sister's now all the time to find out the latest news and to read more about Stephanie & Christian. Such a darling family - and loved by so many. Tons of auctions going on this weekend to help out - hoping they raise gazillions!

Lelani said...

Melanie,
When I lost my first husband to a brain tumor, it was this type of response that helped me SO much. We were blessed with incredible health insurance but the emotional support and the love I felt were incredible. Even thought I don't know this couple, my heart has become involved in this case because I know what happens when a mommy or daddy die with young children around. I learned of this through Leslie as well (she's another amazing person).

What a legacy!